Gamblers often get confused when comparing video poker and live dealer poker at top online casinos, despite the many differences between the two games. To help sort out and understand the differences between these two popular online poker games, we have put our CasinoSource.co.uk poker experts to work. And we have come up with the following online poker guide that explains the many differences – and a few similarities – between the live dealer and video poker versions. Read our comprehensive guide to have all your questions answered, including variations, bonuses, and gameplay strategies.
Online Poker Guide: Difference between Video and Live Dealer
|Casino||Live Software Providers||Live Games||Live Roulette Games||Live Blackjack Games||Visit Site|
|3||127||50||34||Visit Site||FullT&Cs . Extra spins - no deposit required & new players only. Claim within 3 days of registration & 3 day expiry. Extra spins worth £0.10 each on Book of Dead, winnings paid as cash. Deposit offers available across any two deposits. Both expire 7 days after registration & have 7 days to wager once claimed. Deposit £10, £25 or £50+ & wager 35x for a cash reward. Only cash stakes qualify & wagering contributions vary. 5 extra spins on Book of Dead with each qualifying deposit, 3 day expiry.18+ BeGambleAware.org.|
|3||38||12||11||Visit Site||New customers only. Min. £10 dep. 100% up to £50 in Bonus. PayPal/Neteller/Skrill excl. Max. bonus £50. Wagering 40x on bonus amount within 30 days. Bonus max. bet: £5. Spins paid 10/day on Book of Dead and valid for 24 hours. Game weighting and T&Cs apply. 18+. Begambleaware.org|
|2||19||4||2||Visit Site||18+. New players only. 1 bonus offer per player. Min. deposit £20. Max. bonus bet is £5. Bonus spins on selected games only and must be used within 72 hours. Bonus funds expire in 30 days, unused bonus funds will be removed. Bonus funds are 100% match up to £500 on your 1st deposit, 25% match up to £1000 on your 2nd deposit, and 50% match up to £500 on your 3rd deposit. Bonus funds are separate to Cash funds, and are subject to 35x wagering the total bonus & cash. Only bonus funds count towards wagering contribution. Terms apply. BeGambleAware.org|
Similarities Between Video Poker And Live Dealer Poker
While at their core, video poker and live casino poker are based on the same game, they are actually significantly different. Each variation takes a different approach to the game of poker. One provides an authentic and social gaming experience, while the other a convenient and fast-paced way to play poker alone.
Still, there are some similarities between video poker and live dealer poker. Both are based on the same principles of poker, which means that hand rankings and winning hands (such as three of a kind, royal flush, etc.) are the same. Many of the same poker variations are also available as both video poker and live poker games.
Differences Between Video Poker And Live Dealer Poker
By far, the most significant difference between video poker and live dealer poker is that, as its name suggests, video poker is a machine-based game where a single player plays against a computer. In some aspects, video poker is similar to online slot machines. On the other hand, live dealer poker blends online poker with land-based poker to create an experience of playing with a live dealer and against real players.
|Video Poker||Live Dealer Poker|
|Game Type:||Virtual Poker||Real Poker with a human dealer|
|Play Against:||Computer||Dealer and/or other players|
|How to Win:|
|RNG:||All video poker game outcomes are determined by a Random Number Generator (RNG) engine. Like the technology used in online slot machines, a poker machine's RNG is a built-in engine that ensures that every outcome is 100% random, so the game is always fair and wins are decided by chance.||While playing live dealer poker, you play a random hand of cards against either the dealer or other poker players.|
|Return to Player (RTP):||Video poker is popular amongst punters because games often offer a return of over 98%, with some video poker machines boasting an RTP of nearly 100%.||Live dealer poker RTPs vary depending on the variant, but these games also feature high RTPs. For example, Texas Hold’em online has an RTP of 99.47%.|
|Betting Limits:||Based on betting credits. A wager of one credit returns multiplier prizes depending on the winning hand.||Limits vary between variants and live casino tables. Players can raise their initial bets.|
Video Poker Guide
Video poker takes inspiration from slot machines as much as it does traditional poker. While the game you play is poker, you use a machine and play against a computer instead of another player or dealer. However, while a video poker machine is set up similarly to an online slot, the game dynamics are vastly different.
Yes, both slots and video poker rely on an RNG to ensure all games are fair, but there is an element of skill involved in video poker. Specifically, unlike slots, the player makes decisions that play a direct role in the outcome of a hand. This required skill makes video poker more interactive than slots but not as immersive as live poker against a dealer or real player.
Video Poker Strategy
Because video poker is a game between the player and a machine, it is an excellent way to practice poker and perfect your game strategy. If you are a beginner to the world of poker, playing some video poker can help you build your knowledge and confidence before heading to live poker tables to play against dealers and other gamblers. For more information, check out our guide to poker rules and strategies, written by our poker experts at CasinoSource.co.uk.
Video Poker Variations
Most video poker games are based on a five-card draw, but there are several approaches to this game. When you visit one of our recommended online casinos, you will see many video poker variations. There is an extensive selection of variants online, but below, our poker experts focused on the six main game styles you will see most often at casino sites. If you have ever wondered what the difference between Deuces Wild and Jokers Wild poker, read below to find out:
- Deuces Wild: The most popular and common video poker variant is Deuces Wild, played with a regular deck of 52 cards. In this game, players choose the four "two-point" cards and the "deuces". Gamblers like this variant because it is quicker and easier to learn.
- Jokers Wild: Following a similar theme to Deuces Wild, Joker Wild allows players to use the joker card to have the same value as any other card in the game to help build winning hands. There is only one joker in this game with 53 cards in the game deck.
- Double Bonus: As the name suggests, this video poker variation gives players access to two bonuses, both for four of a kind winning hands.
- Double Double Bonus: This variant takes the popular Double Bonus video poker and further boosts the bonus level. In other words, during this game, you can get even more bonuses for landing four of a kind winning hands.
- Triple Play: What's better than playing a single video poker game? Well, how about playing multiple hands at the same time on the same machine? Triple Play video poker allows you to play three hands of cards at the same time. Developed by IGT, Triple Play is available in Deuces Wild and Double Double Bonus.
- Multi Play: Building on the concept of Triple Play is Multi Play video poker, which allows you to play many hands simultaneously. Some versions of this variant will allow gamblers to wager across up to 50 hands simultaneously.
Video Poker: Pros And Cons
Video Poker Bonuses
Many of the top casino sites we feature on CasinoSource.co.uk allow you to play video poker games with your casino bonus. It is always essential to remember casino promotions have a wagering requirement attached. Whether you want to redeem a welcome bonus, deposit match, or no deposit bonus, you need to meet these requirements.
An online casino will often not allow live casino games to contribute towards the wagering requirement, but video poker is sometimes accepted. However, casinos typically cap video poker wagering contributions to around 10-15% because of the high RTP. Therefore, always check the bonus terms and conditions before claiming a bonus.
Live Dealer Poker Guide
Live dealer poker is essentially the same poker game you would play at a land-based casino or when you have a friend around your house for poker night. All it does is move the actual game into the online realm, with all the authenticity included. You will not be at a casino, but you will have a high-quality live stream showing a human dealer and other players.
Because live poker is essentially traditional casino poker at its core, it is dramatically different from video poker. In fact, it combines the convenience of online poker with the drama and authenticity of land-based casinos. Forget about playing against a machine. When you play live casino poker, you go up against other players or a human dealer you can interact with.
Live Dealer Poker Strategy
You can take some essential steps to maximize your chances of winning when playing live dealer games. Our complete guide to developing your online poker strategy can take your poker playing to a new level, while the following tips can help you boost your chances of success:
- Go After Limpers: Limping is common in live dealer poker because gamblers are overly cautious about losing hands so that they will call on the first round of bets. Raising against limpers can weed out weaker players and help you win some easy hands.
- Choose a Table Wisely: Many live dealer poker tables are available at online casinos, with different variations and different betting limits. Choose tables that match your bankroll, stakes and experience, allowing you to maximize your budget.
- Learn How to Fold: Yes, there is not much fun in folding a hand and watching everyone else have fun playing. However, knowing when to fold is an essential skill that can help maintain your bankroll.
- Study Hand Rankings: If you know hand rankings by heart, you will never become confused about whether you have a good hand or not.
- Manage Your Bankroll: Perhaps the most essential live online poker tip is to never spend beyond your means. Set yourself a budget and stick to it!
Live Dealer Poker Variations
You will find all the popular poker variants in a live format at the leading online casinos we list on this page, including:
Casino Hold'em: Perhaps the most famous poker variation of them all. In Hold'em, you bet the ante to get pocket cards, check out the flop and wager (if you choose) through the Turn and River to find the best five-card hand. Hold'em variations are widely available against the dealer and against real players.
Caribbean Stud: Live dealer poker Caribbean Stud is the variant you get online or at a land-based casino. You wager an Ante and then see 10 cards dealt on the table, 5 for you and 5 for the live dealers. Only one of the dealer's cards is visible, and you must decide whether to Fold or Call to see if you win the hand. It is worth looking out for Evolution Gaming’s live Caribbean Stud, which now has a progressive jackpot.
Three Card Poker: You take all the suspense and fun of standard live dealer poker, and instead of playing with five cards to form a hand, you use three. Three Card live poker variants are more fast-paced and have exciting side bets like an "Ante Bonus" and "6 Card Bonus".
Live Dealer Poker: Pros And Cons
Live Dealer Poker Bonuses
Bonuses designed for live dealer poker are rare in the online casino realm. That said, more casino sites are starting to allow live poker bets to contribute to bonuses as live games become more popular. It is always worth checking the terms of your chosen casino bonus to see if live dealer poker contributes to the promo’s wagering requirement.
Video poker and live dealer poker are quite different, despite having some apparent similarities at their core. Which you prefer will depend entirely on what type of player you are. If you like traditional online casino games such as slots, you will get a lot of value from video poker. You play alone against a computer and probably will not feel as much pressure. Video poker is also excellent for beginners still learning about online poker.
However, it is tough to look past live dealer poker as the definitive type of online poker. Playing against real players with a real dealer, and watching a live video feed, brings the authentic casino experience into your home. You get the complete suspense, excitement, and banter of true casino poker with the convenience and perks of online iGaming. Playing both online and video poker provides tons of excitement and fun. So why not try both?
Sign up today to one of our recommended casinos, and don't forget to claim a generous welcome bonus that will get you started at the tables!
♦️ Is video poker considered a slot machine?
- No, video poker is its own unique game at online casino sites. While you play on a machine similar to a slot game, video poker is entirely different to online slots. However, both game types are played by a single player using a video screen and a random number generator (RNG).
♥️ Do you play against the dealer in poker?
- It depends on the type of online poker you are playing. Live dealer poker is the only way to play against a human dealer in the online casino world. Standard online poker and video poker are games where you play against a computer and fellow players, respectively.
♣️ Is there a strategy for video poker?
- Of course there is. Playing video poker involves some serious decision making during the game. While you cannot guarantee winning hands, video poker is a game that involves skill like other poker games. Therefore, you can make decisions that can increase your chances to win.
♠️ How does the casino make money on poker?
- Each casino game, whether it is video poker or live dealer poker, has a house edge. It is a built-in statistical advantage that allows the casino to keep some of the player losses. This portion of the overall wagers that the player loses over time is the house edge counted towards the casino's income.
♦️ Why should you practice playing online video poker?
- To get better at poker and understand more about online poker. Playing video poker is an excellent way for a gambler to get better at poker and learn more about winning hands. Some video poker games allow you to play for free to practice.
♥️ Are online poker apps rigged?
- No, the online poker apps we recommend on CasinoSource.co.uk are never rigged. All the online poker apps we feature are fully licensed and regulated by gambling authorities such as the UKGC. As part of their licensing, poker operators must certify their Random Number Generator (RNG) engine. It ensures that every game outcome is random, and all poker games give players a fair chance of winning.
|Casino Provider||Bonus Offer||Review|
100% Welcome Bonus up to £500 + 50 Bonus Spins
18+. New players only. 1 bonus offer per player. Min. deposit £20. Max. bonus bet is £5. Bonus spins on selected games only and must be used within 72 hours. Bonus funds expire in 30 days, unused bonus funds will be removed. Bonus funds are 100% match up to £500 on your 1st deposit, 25% match up to £1000 on your 2nd deposit, and 50% match up to £500 on your 3rd deposit. Bonus funds are separate to Cash funds, and are subject to 35x wagering the total bonus & cash. Only bonus funds count towards wagering contribution. Terms apply. BeGambleAware.org
100% Welcome Bonus up to £400 + 50 Bonus Spins
18+. New players only. One bonus offer per player. Minimum deposit £20. Max bonus bet is £5. Bonus spins on selected games only and must be used within 72 hours. Bonus funds must be used within 30 days otherwise any unused bonus shall be removed. Bonus funds are 100% match up to £400 on your 1st deposit, 40% match up to £3000 on your 2nd deposit, and 60% match up to £1500 on your 3rd deposit. Bonus funds are separate to Cash funds, and are subject to 35x wagering the total bonus & cash. Only bonus funds contribute towards any wagering requirements. Terms apply. BeGambleAware.org
Play £10, Get 30 Extra Spins on Rainbow Riches
New members only, must opt in. Min £10 deposit & wager. 30 day expiry from deposit.18+. Extra Spins: on Rainbow Riches. 1p coin size, max lines. Bingo: Advertised ticket value based on £1 tickets. Game availability & restrictions apply. **£10 lifetime deposit for Daily Free Game.